Friday, February 12, 2010

Monday Monday Monday!

It's coming! FIESTA!

I've spent the past two weeks buying craft supplies, pasting, and gluing and running around asking permission for this and that. People here have been so amazing with their help and people at home have been so amazing with their support!

Paper for signs and backdrops, as well as terrific orange placemats for snack.
Some of the goods going in the end of the week Fiesta! bags. (Colouring books, crayons, balls, bubbles, kazoos, glow in the dark stars, hair clips, etc.)
Emma and Lynn creating their beautiful backdrop!
Some of the Fiesta! bags awaiting the treats
Cacti and corn, courtesy of Sethi!
The jumbo fiesta letters in transition before getting put on their big banner
My lifesaver! Thai/English bible stories for children. This find from Bridget made my day!
Some of the signs for the week! There are two more without poles that are just as cool. (Sign behind it says, "Hot Bible Adventures" by the way. . .not just "Hot Bible")

It's the last weekend before the VBS, and I am anxious with excitement and nervousness. I took a lot of liberties as far as scheduling and uniform and staffing. Rainbow house has a really repetitive schedule, so it's a little terrifying to shake things up and not only for me! The Thai staff have been amazing with allowing me to use rooms for certain activities and take charge of next week even if they don't completely understand what I'm communicating to them. They don't know what to expect!

 But I know that people are praying, and I know that volunteers are offering their total support, and I know that structure isn't the most important thing, I can be flexible!

Planning this VBS has been such a blessing. It's really challenged me to allow other people to take responsibility for things and not try to do everything on my own. I've had a lot of fun with Lynn and Emma planning snacks and activities, and it's been a good bonding experience with the staff as well.

All that's left now, is to decorate the place, come up with actions for the songs, buy a few essential supplies, and then watch the smiles, and hear the laughs.



3 comments:

  1. The kids are going to loveeee this Emily!!! It looks like and sounds like you have everything under control - it will be wonderful!!! Enjoy!!! Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard to trust others to do thing. I always have trouble doing this because people do not always follow through with what they say they will do.

    Personal my wife and I have a ministry team ministering at HCC that actually goes the extra mile when they do things. This is a first!!!!

    Have a great party!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks like so much fun. You've done a great job and I know the kids are going to love it.

    Miss you.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete