Monday, February 8, 2010

Here and There and In Between



What a crazy few weeks. A crazy HOT few weeks. Cold season is quicky changing into hot, sweaty, sticky and uncomfortable hot season. Seriously, is 30-34 degrees too cold? Must it be 35-40?

However, even though I often get cranky and useless in the heat at home, I am thriving here! I've filled up my week so that I'm the busy bee that I love to be! Here's what's been going on my temporary home-town.


I went to CBR 3! CBR 3 is a rehabilitation center located in a small village three hours from here. Vicki and I went for a week to help out, hoping to offer our vast knowledge of crafts and fun to the few kids that go there. The result was an amazing week, where Vicki and I had tons of deep and thoughtful conversations, while we did the crafts. . .by ourselves. The kids were scared of paper mache, or unsure of paintbrushes, or cried when we showed them what to do. They were quite happy to nap instead, so Vicki and I utilized our supplies and crafted away.



Our paper mache heads, that now reside at CBR 3 permanently 


The pictures we drew

My rendition of the CBR 3 staff.


The actual staff, who we really grew to love! They are extremely hardworking, and such an inspiration to watch!

When I returned, Peterson and Gaelle were safely in Canada, with my family! It was such amazing news, but it made me a little homesick. I wanted to meet them, and was anxious that our meeting date was 4 months away. My fellow volunteers knew this, and threw me an amazing "THEY'RE HOME!" surprise party. It was an awesome feeling to know that people care about even the small things, enough to make some peanut butter sandwiches (which I hadn't had in a month!) and make Canada crowns.

Some of the crew. (from left to right TOP: Emma, Sarah, Lizzie, Joanekke, Charlotte, Holly, Rachel, and Lynn. BOTTOM: Nicole, Biamon, Me, and Julia)

Last week, our brand new and very talented physiotherapist, Charlotte, created an exercise class for the children. It was a blast! Full of hula hooping and jump roping and bowling! The kids absolutely loved it and didn't want to leave the garden. I had some fun too, trying to explain how a jump rope works. I got to show off some of my hard learned skills from kindergarten. Oh they were all impressed I assure you,

Ton and Ploy bowling
I think I was a little more enthusiastic than Phet and Un-Un were. . .
Deow loved the foam
The beautiful physiotherapist who planned it all, Charlotte! And a very happy Look-Dow

As well, work in general has just been such a blessing. Even days where there are no special activities planned, we manage to have a lot of fun just goofing off and throwing the children around. It's not always easy though. Many of the kids have severe behaviour issues due to either their mental disabilities, or just the surroundings at the government wards that they have been exposed to. A child last week was bitten on the face by another child with downs syndrome, creating a deep gash that is likely to leave a visible scar. Another child has just returned to the orphanage after being taken away by her mother and used for begging on the street. Her behaviour reflects this in a negative and violent way. It's tough to punish them when you can't imagine what the anger and disobedience stems from.

However, they're all cute regardless, and I couldn't resist throwing in some pictures to prove it!


Bee showing off her teeth

The two adorable faces of Leo'Q. Either she's dazed, or giggling.
Playing one of Pet's made up games. This one involved an imaginary sword fight (I think) with badminton rackets. We had to point them (I think) then run to the cupboard (I think) and hit it with our foot. . .I think. Believe it or not, communication with a child who doesn't really talk, is difficult. . .but always amusing.
Lily and one of her famous funny faces. Lily is currently in the process of adoption by two fellow volunteers! Rachel and James!
Vicki, a volunteer who has been living here since October, and a close friend of mine, is leaving in less than a week. This was her good-bye photo at Rainbow House. It's always sad to see friends leave!
This is how taking care of Thai children differs from taking care of Canadian children. All concern for health and safety goes out the window, and ideas like this (it was Emma's by the way) seem like really good ones. It was fun in the end, and no one crawled out of there more disabled than they already were.

And for old times sake, Vicki and I braved the kitchen again and attempted to cook. Our last experiment (Banana's and chocolate, if you can remember that far back) failed with a happy ending. This one, just failed really. We were given the task of mashing chillies for Tom Yam soup. "Just a little bit" Nan said. Oh but Vicki and I, we do things wholeheartedly and mashed those chillies to a pulp and then proudly presented them to the real cook. This was the reaction.


"No no no!"

Whoops. It appeared that the more you mash them, the spicier it gets. We grilled those chillies so powerfully that we made a paste too spicy for even the Thai taste buds. We got it right the second time.

FINALLY!

Next week, the volunteers and I have planned a VBS! "Fiesta!"




My church has been AMAZING with their support and the week is looking like it is going to be fantastic! I can not wait to pull out my maraca's and dance with the kids all around Rainbow House. The program is going to run for two hours every morning, and is complete with crafts, snacks, bible story, games and puppets! Thank you so much to everyone who donated money or who offered their support in prayer and encouragement! It has been such a blessing to see how many people are as excited about this as I am!

And now I'm off too bed. I've broken my 10:00 curfew by an hour to write this, but it was worth it. It has been great to keep in touch in some way to my friends, church, and family at home. You are all so special to me!

3 comments:

  1. Ilove reading this Emily! The VBS sounds like fun! Cannot wait to hear all about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. i am so excited for the vbs emily : ) glad you included the lack of health and safetly with the photo of the upside down rainbow ... good times : ) xXx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Emily,

    I so enjoy reading your updates about your day to day activities with these sweet children and the joy you are finding in the simplest of things.

    Congratulations on the additon of Peterson and Gaelle to your family.
    We were all very relieved to read that they arrived safely from Haiti.

    Take care & God Bless.

    Cecilia Bell (Victoria's Mom)

    ReplyDelete