Saturday, January 2, 2010

Holiday Loving

I am back in Thailand, ready to go for another 5 months. Being home over Christmas was really one of the best things my parents could have ever offered me this year. The encouragement and support from all of my friends and my family has really refreshed me and given me a new energy to tackle work with. I can not wait to walk into work on Monday and hug the kids. Their smiles will stick with me forever.

Before I left Thailand, I got to be a part of a Christmas party. All of the volunteers got to participate in the finale for the YWCA's Christmas show in front of hundreds of people. Doing what?


Nothing other than Thai dancing. Really. I Thai danced. As soon as they told us that we were expected to dance in the finale, I couldn't wait. I was really excited to learn this part of Thai culture. Dancing is a huge part of entertainment. Any festival, show, concert, ceremony etc. has their set of Thai dancers. Which is why, we got to perform. With two practices under our belts, we attacked the stage with smiles and our pathetic attempts to be Thai. Our purpose was entertainment. . .and that was definitely the outcome.

Us with our dance teacher, Mae Thim. (From left to right: Rachel, Lynn, Emma, Mae Thim, Me, Vicki, Julia, Holly, and Sarah)

The week before I left was also a good-bye to Jan, a former CCD long term volunteer who had come back for a month. She invited us all to join her at the saxophone bar in Bangkok for a final send off. We walked in to a live band, filling the restaurant with it's impressive jazz music. It was nice to get to say good-bye to Jan in a place she really enjoyed.

Nicola, Julia and I

James and Rachel, me, Jan, and Vicki

The night before I left for home the volunteers went to Nichada church to participate in a carol service! It was a great way to get into the Christmas spirit regardless of the 35 degree weather. Afterwards we all enjoyed finger foods courtesy of the generous Nichada ladies!

Holly, me, Jan, Lynn, and Julia. Eating western delicacies (you know, like. . .brownies)

And then I was home! Enjoying the company of my family and friends. Here are a few photos from my Christmas vacation.




This is one of my favourite things about Christmas! Our tree! It's covered in crafts from kindergarten, and cross stitch ornaments from my grandmother. I wouldn't trade this tree of childhood memories for pretty glass balls and tinsel ever.









This is the MASSIVE lobster my dad brought home to make chowder and sandwiches with. Needless to say. . .it was a meaty chowder.

Kaylin and I offered to make the apple pie. I wish I had a picture of the finished product. The recipe said 6 cups of apples. . .we put in 6 apples. And they were big. . .like this.


And that is how it earned the name "sky high apple pie." Kaylin and I stuffed it full, and then some. It looked funny, but it tasted amazing. Mmmmmmm



Kaylin trying to work out the crust



My job: the filling!

Here are a few more moments of fun and good times this Christmas break!


Learning a new board game, Settlers of Catan




Being ridiculous with Kaylen and Tiffany


Seeing my Bridgewater friends at Sarah's CNC potluck





Spending time with Sarah, Erin, and my sister in Halifax

My gift to my dad from Thailand!

Father, Daughter loving

Skype date on Christmas with the volunteers in Thailand!

Spending time with my grandmother

I have missed my mom's cooking so much! It was such a treat to have her rolls, bubble bread, gumdrop cake, pizza, rolls, sweet potato, rolls, peanut butter cups, did I say rolls?! Yummm

I also enjoyed spending time with my boyfriend Gable! I really missed him and it was great to see him after 4 months of skyping and emailing. Like the matching sweaters?


A huge highlight was the time I got to spend with my sister. She's my best friend.

And now I'm back in Thailand, after an excellent Christmas. I'm ready for work, ready for good times, and ready for heart break.







3 comments:

  1. aww emily i really wish i got to see you around. oh well, i'm glad you had a great trip home! happy holidays!
    lots of love, jenna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, I really, really, really do enjoy reading your blog and looking at the pictures. I noticed all the cross-stitch ornaments I did and boy, did that bring back lots of memories. Love, Grandma Landers

    ReplyDelete
  3. Emily: It was great to see you back here in Halifax. Glad you had a great Christmas with family & friends. Wish God's blessing on you the next 5 months... Mike K

    ReplyDelete