Sunday, October 4, 2009

Boiling Up with Excitement, Frustration, and Emotion.

I feel as though my blog suffers terrible neglect. Every day that I sit down to write a post, the things I have to say overwhelm me and I tend to get distracted with skype. . or facebook. . .

This is no longer going to be the case. It is so wonderful to know that I can share with everyone at home my travels, and I have greatly missed that these past two weeks. So, here's a glimpse.

Work is so much better now than it was my first week. It is amazing how I finally feel as though I am part of the routine, and slightly aware of what's going on around me. After my first day, I thought there was no way I could ever know what I was doing. Wrong! I am still no expert on how to handle children with multiple disabilities, but I'm learning.

Last week me, Sethi, and Catherine (the other two volunteers staying at Sirin house at the time) decided that we should take some of the kids on a trip. I had no idea this was even possible, but Sethi assured me that all we had to do was sign a form and we could take a child, or two, or three, out to wherever we desired (within reason of course).

I thought this was a GREAT idea and was so excited to choose the kids, and venture out into the city with them. Since all three of us were not able to communicate very well in Thai, we decided to pick "easier" to handle children on our first outing, so we chose Ton (in many of my photos), Samon (in photos as well), and Chi-Cha, a girl with extreme hyperactivity and bad eyesight.

In Pakkred, where we live, there is a huge mall called Central Plaza, dedicated to the rich inhabitants of the westernized Nichada. The prices are almost equally as expensive as anything for sale at home, which in Thailand, is unheard of. We packed the children up, flagged a taxi, and took them to Central Plaza. They were more excited than any child I have ever seen. Originally, we planned to take the kids to something called fish therapy, where you stick your feet in a pool of water and the fish eat your dead skin.

Fun right?

But sadly, we couldn't locate it on the 8 floors of Central, so the children hopped onto rides we found at a large arcade and spent hours going on moving plastic trains, horses, cars, and trees? They had a blast and started to panic when we dragged them away from the rides, until they saw the ice cream parlor we took them to.

It was such a fun night. I have to admit, there was no sacrifice from me here. Watching the children smile and laugh hysterically was more fun for me than I have had since coming here. It makes all the effort of carting their wheelchairs, and changing their diapers worth it 100%.


Sethi and Catherine with Ton at Central


Me and Samon and Central

On Friday of this week, we had a surprise visit from Harrow International School. International schools are schools that are typically occupied by the richest of the rich, and fluent English speakers. There was one female teacher, from England, and some of her students, maybe about 10 of them. They filed into Rainbow house in the morning, right after music. Ma-oui, a cute little girl from the government orphanages, immediately ran to them looking for a hug. The reaction of the girls was painful as I watched them jump back in terror and listen as one of them said loudly, "I'm scared." They continued to whisper, and giggle about the kids and their differences. I attempted to ignore their cruel jokes and busied myself with singing to Samon. I couldn't help but become a little defensive however when I heard the teacher talk to the girls about how "this" was where these kids had to live, and these things were all that they had.

I realize now that maybe the teacher was just trying to get the girls to look beyond what they know and see what others live with, but the attitude about Rainbow House being this awful place for these poor children really bothered me. So much goes into the operation of Rainbow house and the kids who live here, DON'T live in the government orphanages. Here they recieve love, and therapy. There they recieve abuse and punishment.

It was an expereince to see the poorest of the poor interact with the richest of the rich. Amazing how much money really does affect lives.

The weekends here are always a treat. I really look forward to them as they are normally jam packed with lots of social outings and exciting trips. Last weekend me, Catherine, Sethi, and Phii Beer went to a restaurant/theatre in Bangkok. It was absolutely AMAZING. The performances were great! Acrobats, dancing, singing, instrumentals, etc. The food was also excellent, and cheap, and the environment was gorgeous. . .right on the river on a beauitful night. The whole expereince ended up costing a mere 7 dollars, anda full tummy.

After the restaurant we went to Ko Sahn road and walked the city night life. There were venders and tourists everywhere! It was cool to see, but a little overwhelming and I was glad to get in the taxi home.


the restaurant




the food!


me and Catherine!


Another fun thing I did over the weekend was go to Ko Kret island. Me and Catherine went to scout out the fun things to see, eat, and do on this little island. It is known for its cheap market, beautiful temples, and streetless villages. I absolutely LOVED it. The people on Ko Kret sell things that they have made and some of the things are really impressive! Many vendors in our city sell mostly clothes and shoes and jewelry, so it was cool to see all the pottery, wood, and paintings on Ko Kret.


standing against the beautiful nature of Ko Kret


cool laterns made out of pop bottles


All this and I still haven't talked about how the puppets are going. . .well, post for another day I guess, a day coming SOON.

Before I wrap this up, TREAT OF THE WEEK!!


Banana Pancakes

These are so good, and so cheap, and so entertaining to watch as they are being made.

The Basic Gist
-egg & banana mixed together
-mix put into a frying pancake
-mix folded into pancake
-pancake drizzled with condensed milk, and cut into perfect little squares

Sometimes, when I'm in a really healthy mood, I'll skip supper and use the money for a pancake. But look at it, seriously, can you blame me?

There are only 3 at Sirin house right now, but tomorrow, a team of 4 eighteen year old girls, and 1 twenty-one year old girl, is arriving at Sirin for 6 MONTHS! I cannot wait :)

All is good in Thailand.
At nights I actually get cold now. You know you are getting used to the heat when you can sleep at night with a thick felt blanket and the temperature is still at 30 degrees.

So much more to say, but it's 1am, and time for bed.

1 comment:

  1. Really good post!! Even though we just Skyped yesterday, your posts are so informative. I love the pictures that accompany the stories. I am living vicariously through your big adventure. I can't wait to read the more frquent posts from here on.....hint, hint!

    Love you
    Dad

    ReplyDelete