Friday, September 4, 2009

I arrived!

It's Friday here, 9:58 am. I am in Thailand!

Finally, after a 20+ hour flight, I have arrived at my new home for the next 9 months.

My flight was awesome. I had no problems finding my way around, and was totally at ease getting from one terminal to another. In Hong Kong, while I was charging up my laptop, an Australian plunked down beside me and said hello. As soon as I said hi back he laughed, "So you're from Canada." I was a little surprised. Turns out my accent is thick. I found that humourous, coming from an aussie.

He was very friendly and proceeded to tell me about all his travels and his diverse family. His wife was an adopted Thai who grew up in London and he was a modern day Aragon ranger. (Pardon my nerdy comparison)

When I arrived in Thailand I was met by the assistant volunteer coordinator, Bridget. She is from London and has been volunteering at CCD for 2 years. She told me she had a contract for 3 years, but she was hoping she could turn it into 13. She loves it here, which of course was very encouraging as I stepped out into the 33 degree weather and immediately felt raindrops.

The house I am staying in is called Sirin House. It is four stories and is very spacious! Right now there are only two volunteers here. Myself and a Belgium school teacher who's teaching English at one of CCD's projects, Rainbow House. He is very friendly and helpful, and has such a servent attitude! There is one computer in the house with internet access, so that is a nice surprise! I can keep in touch with everyone I love and miss so much.

I am excited to start working. There is no work on the weekends and today I was granted to get some rest and unpack. Monday will be my first day, and I can't wait!



My room, looking out my little deck



My bed, with my friend/family shrine above, haha



The living room



the dining room/ kitchen.

5 comments:

  1. AH! Emily, I'm so proud of you. Its also good to know that your safe and in a good environment. I love you love you. I'm so jealous that your making all these new foreign friends. I miss you. Your beautiful. And may I also comment that your blog writing skills are immaculate and after reading your posts I think I'm going to restart my blog so that I don't sound so dense and stupid. Haha :) I'm in need of some Emily lovin but it'll have to wait I suppose! xoxoxo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds and looks great!!!! I can't wait until Monday. So, how's your cooking going? Or are you eating out for every meal. Did you hear our good news? We're out of parquet!

    Love ya,
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Hon. I was so glad to hear you made it there safe. I kept waking up with anxiety attacks wondering where you were at. I am at peace now and back home. I trust you are having a great time. Post lots of pictures!!

    I love you!
    Dad

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Emily, Glad to hear that you got there safely! Thailand looks amazing! Your room looks tiny, but I guess all you need is a place to sleep. We will keep you in our thoughts and prayers. Stay safe!
    Love,
    Peter, Jane, Sarah and Paul

    ReplyDelete
  5. AH, Emily!! You're in Thailand! That's so crazy! I'm so glad you made it there safely, with no complications! That's awesome. I hope you're getting settled in alright, and the working is going well too! Praying for you!!
    Love, Rachel

    ReplyDelete