Monday, September 14, 2009

Food

Thai food has been an experience all in it's own.

To eat out here is really cheap, I can have a FULL plate of food with drink for 20-30 baht (perspective: 31 baht in 1 dollar). THAT is terrific.

However, since I don't know the language, I often have to point at things I want, or gesture towards someone else's meal, which ends up in a meal that I am totally clueless about.

And I always have to finish it in order to avoid offending anyone.

Some foods I know now, to look out for.


So I still don't know the Thai name, but those chunks of brown, yeah, liver. A soup I finished completely ignorant of it's contents until told by Sethi. Not my favourite. . .


ANYTHING with green curry. I had this at the Thai church I attend and ended up with a pile of kleenex it was so spicy.


Som Tam, a papaya salad, my worst nightmare, especially when ordered with the tag "pet mak" (very spicy). This was ordered for me courtesy of Sethi. . .uggg. I drank 3 jugs of water that night.

MY FAVOURITE THAI DISH!



Fried rice, yummmm. Any way, every day. Probably not the healthiest choice, but hey, when in Rome right? or Thailand. . .

Anyways, I have actually been trying to buy some food so I can eat at home and avoid the cost of eating out every day.

The other day I was in Carefour, a supermarket and stumbled upon a whole, fresh tilapia fish. Love at first sight, and the price just topped it off. Only 30 baht! If you know me at all, you will know of my desperate love of fish. So I documented my attempt ( and I might add SUCCESS) of cooking my favourite food.


The fish in all it's "less than a dollar" glory



see ya later sucker



all cut up and ready for the frying pan


DELICIOUS!



Me and Sethi enjoying our fish

3 comments:

  1. that poor fish!!! looks like you're still having a great time. but be safe! i love reading your blog hahaha
    much love, jenna

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love ya hon. Having a great time. Haitian food is way better than what you're having.
    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I'd take the Talapia over the liver soup as well. Just wanted to let you know we've been praying for you Emily and believe in you. You are going to do a great Job.

    Denn

    ReplyDelete