Saturday, May 22, 2010

It's My Party And I'll Cry If I Want To




On Friday Rainbow House hosted a going away party for a host of volunteers. Julia and I, and then 21 Americans that came for just over a week.

It's the same routine every time, and I've been to so many leaving parties. In fact. . .10.

But Friday I wasn't the observer, I was the participator. It was my turn to get my certificate and my crown of flowers. I didn't cry as much as I expected I would as I still have three days of work left, and I didn't really comprehend the "leaving" bit of the party.

To start of the party, 5 of the kids performed a dance they had rehearsed with Mae Thim.
They did an excellent job!
Sombut, Kim, Au, Chicha, and Tee!
Julia and I receiving sashes and certificates.
Khun Wasan handing me my certificate and reference letter after nine months of tears, sweat, laughs, and smiles.
Afterwards getting photos with some of the kids that have made this experience unforgettable! This is Samon, who usually has the biggest smile around. She is a tremendous girl, and I am going to miss her loads. She's challenged me to notice the beauty in things I see as insignificant. Samon is the first to notice the beauty in a new hairband, a christmas tree with lights, a tree of green leaves, a beautifully decorated cookie, painted nails and so much more. She's been my little sister away from home, who's always ready to dance and sing. 
With my crown! There's her famous smile!


This is Bee! She is probably the definition of spunk and energy. She is always on the move, making her way across the floor, or dancing it up so long as there's music playing. She's a non stop chatterbox, constantly being silly and poking fun. She has encouraged me so much just to see the joy in everything! Her smile is infectious, as is her love of people.
And this is TEE! In short, I love this kid. We've been a tight set of friends my whole stay and I am going to miss him so much! I will never forget his laugh and his extra strong hugs.


And these are the staff. This is Kru Ning who is one of the big dogs of Rainbow House. I've seen a lot of her as every time I want to organize a trip or activity it's off to her office I go. She's been such a blessing to me! She's been gracious and says yes as much as she can! 
This is Nan, my favourite physiotherapist! She is an incredible worker and has been an inspiration to me to work hard. I'm going to miss her sweet giggle, and tremendous cooking skills!
Julia, Kru Nok, Myself, and Mae Thim. Mae Thim was one of my faithful English students, and was an excellent Thai dance teacher. Her passion for dance, English, and her work is so cool to see! I'm going to miss this amazing woman of God.

And finally. . .
Kru Nok and I. Kru Nok has been my best Thai friend during my stay in Thailand. She has helped me so much with my Thai, with communication, with child care pointers, with knowledge of all the kids, and just with looking past the negative of situations and embracing the positive. I am convinced our friendship won't end here, and hope to see her again. 


So Julia and I are off next week. Unbelievable!



3 comments:

  1. Safe flight home baby, remember all the good you did for these kids<3 there is no way they will never forget you . Can't wait to hear about your adventure when i get home !!! muah
    Safe travels.
    -Victoria

    ReplyDelete
  2. emily, cant imagine hw it must feel after 9 months. I'm praying 4 u. God knows exactly hw it feels and understands all the little things u cant quite explain. U have made such a difference there.
    lots of love
    xcx

    ReplyDelete
  3. you are so frigging amazing , i love the love you got for these kids .. i can see it <3 travel safe !

    love
    em
    ruff

    ReplyDelete