Thursday, May 27, 2010

Good-Bye Rainbow House, Good-Bye Thailand!

Today was my last day at Rainbow House. What an emotional roller coaster. I can hardly write without bursting into sobs.

Life Lessons I Have Learned
-All people have value. Every. Single. One. It doesn't matter how responsive they are, or how physically able they are. They are just as important as the smartest, or most talented person in the world.
-Thai culture is Thai culture. I can't expect the rest of the world to function like Canada. Things frustrate me, but it's because it's not what I'm used to and what I've been taught as being acceptable. That doesn't mean it's right, but it means I need to be careful in what I perceive as "bad."
-Situations can seem completely hopeless and I may want to give up; but affecting one life in a simple way makes an impact, and why is that not worth my time?
-I am by no means a perfect saint. I am constantly making mistakes, and doing stupid things. I need to approach my imperfections rather than try to gloss them over by doing a good deed or two at Rainbow House.
-Money is not best spent on objects. It's better spent on times that build memories ( or you know, rent, food, transportation etc.)
-Encouragement should always be given! It's so easy, and so appreciated!
-A smile goes a long way.
-A child can be so misbehaved that you can barely handle him/her at all, and yet still be the biggest blessing in your life.

Maybe these seem obvious, but I feel like all of them have developed new meaning, and I have seen how each one is important first hand.

Today the staff presented me with gifts and hugs. I presented them with photos and letters and a tear or two.
They made me a spicy ten chilli Som Tam salad, and Kru Nok gave me a pepsi party. At the end of the day I gave all the kids a photo of me and them, and a short letter telling them about the amazing things I've noticed in them. The kids loved having a photo that they could keep and hold, and a letter that was theirs. I hugged Kru Nok good-bye and collapsed in her arms. She has been an amazing friend to me and I will really miss her. She told me to stop, like the Thai's do, and sent me on my way.

Kru Bonus, P'Som, Kru Tae, Me, and Kru Nok. The Rainbow House daycare staff.
I will miss them so much.
Laughing like always.
A photo with a few of the kids and the core day care staff.

Good Bye Rainbow House.
I will never forget the incredible experience I have had here.
May God continue to work here through staff and volunteers.
You have taught me what it means to love.
You have taught me the meaning of heartbreak.
You have taught me that no matter what, there is hope, and we're a part of it.

Thanks for reading my blog everyone. This is it! I am going to miss posting on here.
I have enjoyed sharing my journey with you!
Every one of you has been such an encouragement to me over here. I will never forget your comments and prayers.

God Bless You All.

Love,
Emily

3 comments:

  1. emily!!!!!!!!
    loved reading this, made me wish i was there to be a part of it all, i would have loved to see kru nok telling u to stop crying :) . u have done amazing things there and made such a difference to all those beautiful children. it was great to work with u, and be part of some of ur ideas.
    I will be praying for u as u go home, have a safe journey
    God bless,
    xcx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily Churchill!! You are wonderful. I've loved reading your blog and making the occasional comment! You're so incredible, I admire you in a lot of ways! I'm sure you were a huge blessing at Rainbow House, and I can see how much of a blessing they have been to you :) I could have cried just reading this post! I love you a lot! You're love for serving God is so inspiring. Hope to see ya soon!
    Much love!
    Rachel

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've loved reading your blogs over the past 9 months. Safe travels home - looking forward to seeing you soon (on Sunday...). (Mike K)

    ReplyDelete