Sunday, April 11, 2010

Rayong Camp

Last weekend we packed up all the kids and drove for a couple hours to Rayong army base. A rich Thai man funds a camp held at this army base once at year. He invites a few different charities for children and CCD happens to be one of them!

It was a lot of fun. The highlight for most people was the abundance of food absoolutely everywhere at all times. It was mostly Thai food however, which I do enjoy, but can only eat so much of before I realize that no, hotdogs wrapped up in a pancake with sugar and then sprinkled with pork skin is not really that tasty. Waffles with corn in it isn't my favourite, and drinks with black licorice jello balls floating in it turn my stomach. But sometimes I do like a good sweet orange Fanta, which is definitely a Thai thing rubbing off on me.

Just the right amount of sugar to keep me going.

The weekend revolved around the food, and the beach. I loved the sea. It was actually hot! It was hotter in the water than outside of the water. Crazy sensation!


I was supposed to be looking after Tee, but last minute got changed to looking after Au. I was a little disapointed at first, but in hindsight I wouldn't have had it any other way! It was really great having Au at camp. He's the best behaved child I know, and I was able to enjoy camp more without stressing out over his location. He was always within a 5 meter radius, and never ran off once. This is an unbelievable convienence, and a blessing most other volunteers didn't get to have. Plus he's adorable!
 Au and I
I didn't get a lot of sleep over the weekend as you can tell in this photo. We all slept in big rooms with concrete floors. We had nothing seperating us from the concrete other than this.

I hate to sound high matenience, I would love to say that I can handle any environment and absolutely thrive. But unfortunately, concrete floors = a bad sleep for me. It was okay though because my child was fantastic and I didn't have to chase him around so I had enough energy to have a good time.

The finale of the weekend was our Thai dancing once again. This time, we had a bit bigger of an audience and different constumes. Besides the music skipping, and the beginnings of rain halfway through, it was pretty good I'd say.
I was miss Bangkok again and this time instead of huge golden shoulder pads I was graced with elf ears.
Lizzie (north) Charlotte (south)
This turns into the best part of the dance, and we totally stole it from youtube. 
Emily: "Hey that looks cool."
Julia: "We should do it in our dance."

bam, it went into the dance.

The last day was really relaxed and by the late morning, we headed home.
how we were all feeling. . .

 Good Bye Rayong!

It's hit me really hard that I have less than 7 weeks left. Where has the year gone? And where will all of these new relationships go? Am I really going to go home and not see these kids or volunteers ever again?

I have so many more things to talk about, but no pictures. Time to take some!

5 comments:

  1. Wow, another really good post. We have lots of kids at home just waiting for your arrival!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily,

    I don't understand what you guys do the dances for? Like why do the volunteers do it and not the thai people? It seems cool! what I mean by that is are you choosing to do it or do they make you kind of or encourage you to do it? I just don't understand! please enlighten me. And who exactly are you performing in front of?

    Lots of loveeee xoxoxox. Vee

    ReplyDelete
  3. i loved the photos, i bet someone really talented took them!Also whose the person in the pink thai outfit, she clearly is the best and doesnt even get a name!
    And you are going to see the volunteers again, well at least one!even if its just on skype for a little while, you will see her again in your life PROMISE!Love ya!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hahahahaaa, the food!!! Thai people seem to have wayy different tastes then us eh? Hot dogs with pancakes sounds worse then the ice cream with corn!
    Anyways looks awesome, wish i could be there right now!
    I had a dream the other night i was back at Rainbow house, and i was actually the happiest person!
    Miss you tons!!
    <3 <3 <3
    Kaylin

    ReplyDelete
  5. You look so happy Emily!!!

    I am glad you are having a good time.

    God bless you.

    ReplyDelete