Tuesday, August 25, 2009

Last Week

I’ve always loved an adventure, and in just over a weeks time, I will be taking the biggest adventure in my life. In the beginning of September I am headed to Thailand for nine months as a volunteer. I’ve been planning this specific trip since November by writing emails back and forth between the volunteer coordinator from CCD Thailand. CCD is a Christian organization that aids orphans in the Pakkred area that have physical and mental disabilities.

People often ask me why I chose Thailand, especially my parents. I’m really excited about the ministry CCD offers. I have an interest in physiotherapy as a future career and the experience I will be able to get working at CCD will be an incredible benefit. Perhaps I could’ve gotten similar experience in a country closer to home, but anywhere I go will not be home. I will be away from family, friends, and a culture I have become familiar with.

As the day draws nearer I get more and more anxious and nervous. I have never been away from home for longer than a summer, so nine months will be quite a change. However, I am EXCITED! I love to travel, I love to play with kids, and I love meeting new people.

I recently purchased my plane ticket for 2300 dollars. It was expensive but the cost to live there will be cheap. . .I hope. I have been working long days all summer to raise money for my trip. Most weeks have been 70 hour weeks, and often I wonder if it’s worth it. But as September 2nd comes closer, I know it all was.

Please keep in touch as I venture away all alone! Any emails or messages or letters would be fantastic! Any piece of home will be a comfort I’m sure. Follow my adventure on my blog this year, and be sure to comment !

4 comments:

  1. Emily! I'm SO excited for you. This is a crazy adventure and you're going to rock it! Brave and beautiful! I'll be praying for ya :)
    - Rachel Woodworth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Emily, this is so exciting! You're going to have an experience of a lifetime. I'll be thinking of you and following your blog while you're gone.
    All best wishes.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll be watching and sharing your posts with others we know. Your parents may age a little this year...haha!

    The very best. Praying for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. mmmmmm baby cakes. im gonna miss you

    ReplyDelete